“There was a man there who had a withered hand… he said to the man, ‘Stretch out your hand.’ He stretched it out and his hand was restored.” –Mark 3:1b, 5b
Jesus had the absolute power to heal the man with the withered hand, but it is notable that before Christ bestowed healing grace, He asked the man to participatein the miracle, to make an effort, and to stretch out his hand. At Pietra Fitness, we believe Christ desires our wholeness and that, like the man with the withered hand, we too are invited to reach out to God – opening our hearts to His grace when we stretch our bodies and place our hope in Him. Through prayer and scripture, we invite Christ to be present in every class, asking that each physical movement be blessed.
Why is stretching important?
“Research has shown that regular, intense stretching for a minimum of ten minutes will bring some major beneficial changes in the neuro-muscular-tendon units. Increased strength and endurance gains have been reported, as well as improved flexibility and mobility.”
Benefits of stretching include:
- Improved flexibility, muscular endurance, and muscular strength
- Reduced muscle soreness, aches, and pains
- Good muscular and joint mobility
- More efficient muscular movements and fluidity of motion
- Greater ability to exert maximum force through a wider range of motion
- Prevention of some lower back problems
- Improved appearance and self-image Improved body alignment and posture
In addition to increased flexibility, the exercises utilized in Pietra Fitness classes are designed to improve muscular strength, range of motion, posture, and stability. We hope you leave each class feeling relaxed, refreshed, rejuvenated, and restored.